Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Holden Caulfield - Is he a Dynamic or Static Character

For this blog, A dynamic character is a character that changes over time and a static character is one that does not change from the beginning to the end.

   It is normal for people to change over time. They change from what they have learned with the experiences that they have had. Holden, is a rare being that I feel is constantly stuck in the middle of the lake, wondering if the ducks fly south for winter or if someone takes them away for the winter. While Holden is frozen, time around him keeps moving. He's trying to see new things, but he can't move because of the ice. Related image What Holden doesn't realize is the fact that he is the reason why he's stuck in the ice. He refuses to go home, but he also refuses to try in school, so he literally has nowhere to go.

   Once Holden finally decided to get over his little complex and goes home, he said that he felt good. He finally felt happy again. Image result for home gif This is how I expected Holden to feel, but he peeved me when he kept putting it off. He could have stepped out of the ice and onto the grass a lot earlier in the book, but Salinger didn't allow Holden to feel that way until it was almost too late. Holden had a lot of suicidal thoughts that were lightly put into the the text and none them really made sense until Holden mentioned the name James Castle in one of the final chapters. Since names have a meaning, I was trying to figure out what James Castle's purpose was. Then I was thinking, a Castle is heavily guarded and protected. James was a quiet guy, probably to keep all of his thoughts to himself. Then, he killed himself once he called this other kid annoying or something of that sort (I'll look it up later). Since Castle wouldn't take back what he said, this kid and his friends locked themselves, and James Castle, in James's room to try to scare and maybe beat it out of him. Since James wouldn't talk, he jumped out of the window and killed himself. If you can't read on Mr. Scalia's caliber, then you may have no idea why I thought that this part was so important. Well, when Holden puts his secret suicidal thoughts out there, he always mentions jumping out of the window. Holden might feel connected to James Castle because of that, I mean James was a good kid, just like his brother and James was wearing Holden's turtle neck when he killed himself, so Holden probably felt worse, knowing that information.

   Why is this important for what kind of character Holden is?? It shows us that tragic events do take a toll on Holden whether he blatantly says it or not. He changes his mindset slightly, but it only shows his growth and slight coming of age. Overall, I believe that Holden is a static character. Image result for tv static gif
This decision wasn't the easiest to make, but throughout the book, Holden doesn't really drastically change from the beginning of the book to the end. The major thing that changed was the fact that on the first page, Holden says, "...I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." He also says it on almost every other page in the book until the very last line, "If you do, you start missing everybody." Holden goes through the book acting like he doesn't really care about anyone because they're all "phonies" but then he turns around on the very last line in the book saying that he'll miss the people in his life if he talks about them, phony or not. Holden is a people person, he needs human interaction or else he'll get lonely and depressed. But, if he's with a phony, he'll say that he's annoyed and try to get out of there, then get depressed again. Holden needs the interaction, whether he likes it or not; that's his nature. He wants someone to be real with him, but those people are his dead brother, Allie, and his kid sister, Phoebe. Holden's attitude doesn't really change, either. Throughout the book, Holden opens up more and more. At first, he was the kid hiding his goldfish, then as the story goes on, he shows more and more of the fish bowl, then he takes off the red hat, covering the top of the bowl and the checkered paper covering the bottom of the bowl to reveal a goldfish full of hidden emotions.

Related image Related image

Happy Halloween Everybody!! Stay safe!!

Image result for harley quinn blowing a kiss gif

9 comments:

  1. I was surprised at how many people didn't use quotes so I think it was a great idea that you did. You gave examples from the text, showed evidence and even added in some nice gifs and pictures. The organization threw me off a little though. I think you tried to make it unique and different, which is great, but it would've had the same effect and been easier to read if you kept it on the simplistic side. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just reread my blog, thank you for telling me about the organisation!! I went on a little tangent when I should have made a new paragraph and transitioned it better. Your input means a lot!! :)

      Delete
  2. Kayla! Great blog! I liked how you used quotes from the book( Because I didn't hehe well i think I didn't). At the beginning I liked how you say in general people change and it't not a bad thing. I also liked how you showed what you believe Holden's character portrays. I agree with you that picking who he plays was the worst, but gave examples on why you believe that. I also like the ending of your blog when you talk about the secret goldfish and how it becomes more and more. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how at the beginning you defined what a static character and what a dynamic. My favorite part of your blog is "Holden, is a rare being that I feel is constantly stuck in the middle of the lake, wondering if the ducks fly south for winter or if someone takes them away for the winter. While Holden is frozen, time around him keeps moving." those lines are very powerful because in some ways it summarizes up the whole book. Good job on your blog Kayla, I like how you allowed the reader to come with you as you find out what kind of a character Holden is. Good job again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im honestly surprised but obviously really proud that you continue to turn in good work even though in the beginning you missed a lot of days. You always try your hardest and that really showed through in this blog, you explained everything so well and in full detail to how you interpreted everything. I really love how you make it simple to read and overall answered the question fully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite blogs that you have written. I think your points were spot on and that you included a lot of detail that supports what you are trying to portray. The visuals were awesome and I agree that it was easy to read. Great job Kayla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit everything perfectly, touching on the water and ice part, the suicide part. I liked the end the most when you really started analyzing the book and Holden as a whole. I think you interpreted the book exactly the way it was supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiyo Kayla-dog! This blog is pretty nice!!

    Very impressive word choice, must I first add. "Caliber" I had to look that up. Very nice.

    Your last paragraph definitely hits hardest when it comes to total overall analyses. You use quotes and evidence to strengthen the point you're trying to make about Holden's static characteristics.

    However, I do very much like your analysis on James Castle. I was impressed with how you interpreted his name! And then, I also feel like you did a good job connecting that story back to your point. However, I wish you had added another traumatic or tragic example Holden encountered, just to beef up your point a bit.

    Your conclusion makes sense and your evidence is all strong. Solid posting Kayla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was an amazing blog post. Everything that you analyzed and all of the statements that you made were very nice. I like how you used the pictures to represent some of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete