Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Senior Year

Hello, faithful readers!

This topic is my own, not one assigned to class, but I hold it to the same importance. This blog is being posted as a farewell to my peers as I continue this year to become a college student in the summer. These past four years have been a ride - to say the least.

 Related image

Freshman year, I started out as a shy, sensitive girl that didn't know what to do now that she was in high school. I mean, come on, it's high school! I've finally become one of the cool kids who can party every weekend, drive, and have a ton of friends! Boy, was I wrong. I am not a party person, I was one of the youngest in my grade, so I couldn't get my learners permit until Sophomore year, and I didn't make that many friends.
It's not as depressing as it sounds. In high school, we learn who we are and who our true friends are.
Related image

Don't lose sight of your future. In my sophomore year, I was convinced that I would be a music composer for movies. Yes, I play three instruments, but that's not enough. The reality of me actually becoming a famous composer was one in one million. Related image Once I was grounded, I found my new interest - protecting the nation. I found something that felt right and if I tried thinking of anything else, they wouldn't be good enough because of the path that I have found. This path was one leading to the FBI. This was the first step that I took to find myself. That didn't fully until the end of Junior year. Maybe, I'm a late bloomer, but oh well.

When junior year came, my best friends were all going to leave me. I have always been the one underclassman to hang out with the upperclassmen. My senior friends left me some great insight, and that is what I want to share with you, along with my own. For now, here's what they taught me...

1.) Don't be afraid to be who you are.
No matter what, some people are going to hate you and some people are going to love you. So, you might as well be true to who you are so that the ones who love you don't end up hating you. You also should be confident in yourself. You are in total control of one thing: you. So, be an even better version of yourself than yesterday. If you are different, so what? That doesn't matter.

2.) Make yourself happy.
What others say may hurt, but you need to know how to make yourself happy. You are the most important person in your life - keep yourself healthy and happy. Also, stay away from toxic people, no matter what, they will drag you down with them. You can be polite, but that's it.

and 3.) Be confident.
This is easier said than done, but my secret is to fake it until you make it. Another little secret: it works. It doesn't matter if it's an outfit, makeup, a speech, project, anything - if you stand up straight, hold up your head and plaster a smile across your face, those around you will believe in your confidence.

Okay, so maybe I mixed a little of my insight with theirs, but you get the general idea.

Now that I'm a senior, I am starting to realize things that I never wanted to. I grew apart from one of my best friends and at the moment, he's in basic training. My female best friend is moving across the state to go to college and we will soon grow apart. Six of my old friends graduated early/dropped out and I am no longer in contact with them. I am going to a different college than all of my friends and I'll most likely never see the majority of them again.
Related image

That truth keeps hitting me over and over again, but don't let this put fear in your mind. Senior year is crazy and amazing. You get this freedom that you never thought existed. The senior trips and activities that you get to be involved in and the skip days along with the prank and honk out at the very end make the four years worth it.

Even though senior year seems like a good year to slack off, one must remember to stay on top of their work. You have scholarship opportunities (start applying for them in the summer of your junior year, going into senior year), college applications, ensuring that your SAT and ACT scores are where they need to be, and you have to apply for housing and orientation. It's going to be the worst experience in your life if you do not keep your focus. I'm not going to lie, I was really close to not making the deadlines for some of the said items, but alas, I did make it. Related image

So, to my fellow Seniors, I bid you farewell and I wish you all the success you desire. To the rays still in high school, good luck, and I hope that this helps :)


Image result for harley quinn gif


Until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment