Monday, February 6, 2017

"I Want a Wife" Analysis

Judy Brady wrote "I Want a Wife" to show the general population how women are being treated in a traditional home. Brady started out by talking about how she is in the "classification of people known as wives." Then she went and spoke about her male friend whom just had a divorce and is currently (at the time) looking for a wife. Related image

After that, Brady goes into saying that she would like to have a wife and that's when she starts talking about the stereotypical house wife and how men view women. She says, "I want a wife to keep track of the children's doctor and dentist appointments. And to keep track of mine too." The wife is 'expected' to take care of the family, clean the house, cook for the whole family, and entertain guests while the husband works and invites  guests. I'm not saying that the man doesn't do anything, but that is how he is seen in the writing. The text assumes that women do everything while all that men have to do is work and come home. This isn't ethical today even though it was normal for the 1970's which was when this piece was written. Thinking about the time, the Women's Liberation Movement was in the 1960's and persisted to the 1970's, so maybe this piece was written to try to empower women by saying that they are not seen as being equal to a man. Women are not supposed to dance around a man and do whatever he wants her to do (which is everything) women have their own voice and their own power. I believe that is what Brady is trying to get women to see and act upon. The things that are said in the text that show how a man views a woman is not something that makes a woman who believes in her own rights and is aware that she can be powerful just by being herself. Brady said things like, "I want a wife who takes care of the children when they are sick, a wife who arranges to be around when the children need special care, because, of course, I cannot miss classes at school." , "My wife must arrange to lose time at work but not lose the job. It may mean a small cut in my wife's income form time to time, but I guess I can tolerate that." , "A wife who will pick up after my children, a wife who will pick up after me. I want a wife who will keep my clothes clean, ironed, mended, replaced when need be, and who will see to it that my personal things are kept in their proper place so that I can find what I need the minute I need it." , "I want a wife who will not bother me with rambling complaints about a wife's duties. But I want a wife who will listen to me when I feel the need to explain a rather difficult point I have come across in my course of studies." This is just a single rain drop in an ocean of what Brady has said in a man's perspective of a "perfect wife". This is outrageous. Image result for animal gifs
I am not going to lie, some of the things that Brady said were humorous, but it's only funny because in America today, you don't typically see a man that doesn't respect his wife. Women's Rights have improved since the 60's-70's and I am glad that it did. Today, we are mostly equal with a man on many levels. We also have the right to demand respect as long as it is given back.

1 comment:

  1. Getting better, but not a complete rhetorical analysis. Remember what is important and what isn't important.

    ReplyDelete